October 19, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Cape Breton Island, NS – NextGen Cape Breton – Unama’ki and the Cape Breton Partnership are seeking nominations for their eighth annual Vital Cape Breton – Unama’ki Excellence Awards, to be presented on December 3, 2021, at the Port of Sydney’s Royal Cape Breton Room.
The Vital Awards annually recognize youth and young professionals across Cape Breton Island between the ages of 16 and 40 who have made significant contributions, or impacts to their community, school or workplace, as well as the employers who support them.
“We’re so excited to be hosting the 2021 Vital Awards in-person this year, after nearly two years of our community being apart due to the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Natasha Kochhar who was appointed Chair of the NextGen Cape Breton – Unama’ki Board earlier this year. “I’m very proud of the work NextGen has done over the years. It has been a catalyst for engagement and empowering young leaders to be the change in their communities. Our Board cannot wait to celebrate the excellence of youth and young professionals across our incredible Island.”
“It has been a distinct honour for the Cape Breton Partnership to have been involved in the development and evolution of the Vital Awards for the past eight years,” says Carla Arsenault, President & CEO of the Cape Breton Partnership. “Our youth are not only vital to Cape Breton – Unama’ki’s future, but to its present as well. These awards represent an important celebration and recognition of our Island’s youth, the employers that play a vital role in their development, and their achievements.”
The 2021 Vital Awards categories include:
- Vital Excellence Award – Recognizes individuals who have played a vital role in their community through volunteerism, culture, leadership, innovation, etc.
- Vital Employee Excellence Award – Recognizes employees who have played a vital role in their workplace in Cape Breton.
- Vital Employer Excellence Award – Recognizes employers who have played a vital role in creating rewarding employment opportunities for youth in Cape Breton.
- Vital Newcomer Excellence Award– Recognizes newcomers who have made significant contributions to a community or communities in Cape Breton Unama’ki through leadership, mentorship, entrepreneurship, etc.
- Vital Young Leader Award – Recognizes individuals under the age of 18 who have made contributions to their community through volunteerism, innovation, or leadership.
- Vital Pandemic Leadership Award – Recognizes businesses, organizations, or individuals who have gone above and beyond to support Cape Breton Unama’ki through safety, advocacy, or relief measures during COVID-19.
Nominations for the 2021 Vital Awards can be submitted online by visiting www.cbnextgen.com/nominate. The deadline for nomination submissions is 4 p.m. on November 5, 2021.
Early bird tickets to attend the 2021 Vital Cape Breton – Unama’ki Excellence Awards are on sale now for $40.00 +HST until November 10th, with regular price general admissions tickets for $50.00 +HST until November 24th. This event will be following all current public health restrictions and requirements, and pre-registration is required. Tickets can be purchased by visiting https://2021-vital-awards.eventbrite.ca.
Chair, NextGen Cape Breton – Unama’ki
Cape Breton Partnership