A SHARED VISION OF PROSPERITY FOR CAPE BRETON ISLAND
The Prosperity Framework has guided and coordinated the economic development activities across Cape Breton and Mulgrave for the past five years. The success behind the Framework exists in its all-encompassing strategy that strengthens our region’s focus on cross-industry collaboration. The foundation of the Framework incorporates data from existing economic development work, community strategic plans, stakeholder consultations, and other pertinent documents, to build an overarching blueprint for economic development opportunities for Cape Breton and Mulgrave.
Called an ‘exemplary initiative’ in the Now or Never: An Urgent Call to Action for Nova Scotians report, the Prosperity Framework has four overarching goals to guide its activities:
- Pursue updated economic development strategies for the entire region, with a focus on growth sectors and value added components of existing sectors.
- Align the Strategic Framework with the provincial and federal economic strategies.
- Collaborate with Cape Breton’s principal economic development partners in the pursuit of updated strategies with provincial and federal plans, and fill gaps in economic development programming, particularly as they relate to human resources and entrepreneurship development.
- Facilitate and monitor the net creation of new jobs on an ongoing basis.
Cape Breton and Mulgrave’s future economic growth will be a result of leveraging, modernizing, and promoting some of the traditional industries and sectors that have inherent long-term sustainable competitive advantages. These include:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Energy-Clean Technology
- Environment & Engineering
- Multi-Modal Transportation
- Seafood & Aquaculture
- Social Enterprise
Additional focuses of the Framework include:
- Business Retention & Expansion
- Investment Readiness
- Major Projects
- Workforce Development