President & CEO
- January 7, 2022
- Presented By: The Cape Breton Partnership
- Location: Cape Breton Island
- Deadline: 4:00 pm January 31st, 2022
Are you a dynamic leader passionate about growing Cape Breton-Unama’ki and improving quality of life?
The Cape Breton Partnership is looking for a driven, strategic President & CEO to lead our island-wide economic development organization, including the two Regional Enterprise Networks (RENs): The Cape Breton REN (CB REN) and the Cape Breton Regional Municipality REN (CBRM REN) program.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the President & CEO is responsible for developing and implementing the organization’s strategic action plan to ensure efficient, accurate, and transparent financial and operational management. The President & CEO works alongside public and private sector partners to champion economic develop initiatives that advance the goals of the organization and the overall prosperity for Cape Breton-Unama’ki.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Creates, implements and evaluates the annual Strategic Plan, as approved by the Board.
- Oversees and manages the development, delivery, and evaluation of a diverse list of programs and services including, but not limited to: the Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network (CBREN); Cape Breton Regional Municipality Regional Enterprise Network (CBRM REN); Connector Program; Cape Breton Local Immigration Partnership; Safety First in Cape Breton; Business Advisory Services; Workplace Inclusion Charter; Innovation District; Works for You training; and many more projects ranging in scale, timeline, and budget.
- Evaluates and addresses all concerns related to Investor, member and client services.
- Guarantees that all issues related to incorporation of the Partnership are addressed and reported to the Board including banking and director liability insurance.
- Manages the Partnership’s offices including property and equipment leases, office and boardroom equipment purchases, telecommunications services, consumable supplies, etc.
- Supervises staff and ensures the efficient operation of the Partnership offices including the monitoring of key processes.
- Manages financial resources, as approved by the Board; reports issues and outcomes; develops budgets and provides monthly and quarterly financial reports as required by the Board.
- Creates implements and evaluates all internal and external communications and marketing activities, as approved by the Board, and for reporting issues and outcomes.
- Manages all professional services required by the Partnership including, but not limited to, accounting, legal, research, and marketing.
- Plans, implements and evaluates special events and initiatives.
- Prepares and presents accurate reports to the Board on all areas of Partnership activity including, but not limited to, communications, financial, strategic, and human resources.
- Maintains regular communications with Board, staff, and Investors to ensure seamless leadership within the organization.
- Achieves key performance targets, defined in collaboration with the Board, in areas of Investor recruitment and retention, strategic partnership development, and finance.
Education and Experience
- Post-Secondary Degree in Business, Public Relations, Economic Development or related studies.
- Experience in the field of economic development.
- Experience in strategic planning.
- Experience with Investor relations and attraction, and business development.
- Experience in governance structures appropriate to not-for-profits.
- Experience in operations, including managing employees.
- Understanding of the region’s economic landscape.
- Knowledge of media relations strategies.
- Understanding of business functions such as Human Resources, Finance, Marketing, and Communications.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operations metrics.
Skills and Abilities
- Superior leadership skills
- Ability to execute and deliver results
- Competent in media relations
- Aptitude for decision-making and problem-solving
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Aptitude for planning and strategic thinking
- Ability to resolve issues with a range of audiences and stakeholders
- Effective written communication skills, including the ability to compose various types of documentation for a range of uses
- High attention to detail
- Ability to manage a geographically dispersed team, as well as work effectively with Board Members, and Investors throughout the region
- Innovative thinker
- High degree of integrity
- Ability to apply understanding, tact, and awareness
- Ability to work effectively in a complex, and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to frequently work outside regular work hours
- Ability to travel frequently throughout the region, semi-regularly in the province, and occasionally in Canada.
The President & CEO will work in both an office environment and in the field. Flexibility in working hours is required, as some work will happen outside the standard workweek. Travel throughout the region will be required, therefore candidates must have a valid driver’s license, as well as access to a reliable vehicle.
Any offer of employment will be conditional on the provision of valid proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 (Information on proof of vaccination can be found here: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/vaccine/#proof-of-vaccination), with the exception of cases where an individual has a valid and documented exemption in accordance with Nova Scotia Human Rights (https://humanrights.novascotia.ca/vaccines-workplace-and-other-public-spaces ).
Nice-to-have skills and qualifications
- Bilingualism would be considered an asset.
- The Cape Breton Partnership offers a supportive work environment where you can do your best work, thrive among a team of professionals and enjoy a competitive salary and generous benefits package.
Please forward a cover letter and resume as a single PDF file to email@example.com
Monday, January 31st, 2022 at 4 pm.
About the Cape Breton Partnership:
The Cape Breton Partnership is Cape Breton-Unama’ki’s private sector-led economic development organization that supports companies and entrepreneurs by promoting our island as a great place to live and invest; growing a culture that values and celebrates creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship; and connecting entrepreneurs and companies to the resources they need to succeed. The island-wide organization is led by a Board of Directors and is the economic development partner of all 5 municipal units in Cape Breton. With approximately 25 staff located across Cape Breton-Unama’ki, the Cape Breton Partnership works with all levels of government, private and non-profit groups to help foster inclusive economic growth on the Island.