Economic Development Officer – Inverness County
- June 18, 2018
- Presented By: The Cape Breton Partnership
The Cape Breton Partnership is looking for a driven multi-talented person to fill a dynamic and evolving role. As Economic Development Officer for Inverness County you will contribute to the Partnership’s team effort by supporting the Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network (CBREN) activities of the Partnership. You will produce high quality work while working in a fast-paced environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) activities within Inverness County.
- Assist in the economic data collection and update the economic/business development sections of municipal websites with the information collected.
- Assist partner organizations in presenting workshops, business educational programs and information sessions in Inverness County.
- Advance specific economic development priorities for Inverness County.
- Respond to requests for information to the municipalities by various means including telephone, electronic, website, and social media or in person from various stakeholders including real estate agents, municipal partners, provincial agencies or the general public.
- Build a comprehensive business database.
- Assist in the regional Investment Readiness Process.
- Use BRE Tools to assess business opportunities and issues.
- Attend Prosperity Framework sector team meetings on behalf of the Municipality of the County of Inverness.
Skills & Qualifications
- Requires a university or college degree/diploma in a related discipline (Planning, Business, Political Science, Engineering or Economics).
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in the economic development field.
- Valid Driver’s License and current driving abstract.
- Ability to be diplomatic and tactful with local political, community and business leaders, government officials, members of professional organizations and representatives of other levels of government.
- Political acuity and sensitivity along with exemplary presentation and analytical skills.
- Requires knowledge of community economic development theories and practices as well as knowledge of local and regional economic development potential and opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and efficiently with minimal direction.
- Ability to prepare well thought out proposals and make recommendations.
- Have research skills.
- Ability to network with communities, economic development professionals and a wide variety of other organizations.
- Ability to work effectively with community leaders, diverse community groups, and all levels of government.
Strategic Thinking & Leadership
- Needs to be involved and familiar with the community and the people who contribute to it.
- Need to be able to listen carefully and assess which community members are best suited to bring identified opportunities to fruition.
- Ability to analyze problems and seek out innovative solutions.
- Ability to facilitate meetings, gather input, and data with the knowledge to use that information to extrapolate a viable business plan.
- Ability to receive constructive input from managers and incorporate their input into the research, business plan, etc.
- Needs to possess a positive, optimistic attitude.
- Needs to be able to give advice to Cape Breton Regional Enterprise Network CEO and staff.
- Must be able to analyze and condense information in a logical way to be able to provide clear and concise guidance.
The Economic Development Officer for Inverness County will work in both an office environment and in the field and will work a standard work week. Flexibility in working hours is required as some work will happen outside the standard work week. Place of work to be determined, candidate to provide indication of preference. Travel throughout the regional will be required.
Bilingualism would be considered an asset.
Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) Training would be considered an asset.
A competitive salary will be offered based on qualifications and experience.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.